-
July 15th, 2006, 10:49 AM
#31
Inactive Member
DD never saw them until she was about 5, they were at my parents house, then at 3 she got her first Bitty (which she LOVES SO MUCH to this day, almost 6 years later) So, I brought them home, but she could only play with them under my close supervision, At 6, It was the one I got in '97 in celebration of her birth, of #14 that looks like her that I let her first play with. So it is hers, technically, Then for her 7th bday, or at least close to it 11-9-04, on Oct. 15 '04, Her big bday present was her first AG that she could pick out, well to no surprize she picked Nellia, I happen to get a chance to go when my aunt does PR for an organization in Chicago and invited us. She knows all my girls, but knows the ones that are really MINE: Ana (94 Sam), Lici (91 Fel), Kira (92 Kirsten), 93 Addeline, my 95 Bitty. I want to get the bitty twins for my niece's 2nd bday/x-mas,since I collect the bitty babies. But sister doesn't get my obsession and am not sure it would be made to be taken care, at least as much as a 2 year old can, dd was 3 when she got Rose, her bitty, but it was love at first site, so she did take care of her VERY GOOD on her own, so I am still debating getting my niece the twins, I want to start a collection for her, like I did for dd & I, so we will see. I beleive in letting kids play with toys if you give them to her, but I am hoping my sister goes behind her and makes sure she is cleaned up once in awhile, clothes put away or repaired, etc. and am afraid that won't happen & then I might as well just get her walmart knock offs which defeats what I am trying to do, dd's is a collection to be cherished and passed down, not given to goodwill in 10 years, you know what I mean?
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 15, 2006 07:50 AM: Message edited by: for_my_rose ]</font>
-
July 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM
#32
Inactive Member
Luv*AG - I think that is so great that your dd hasn't found all those beautiful AGs yet... I think you better break it to her gently, when the time comes, she'll be in for a shock! I wish I could pull one over on my girls like that... they find everything!
Case in point: The girls were at summer camp over the 4th, so my best friend and I snuck off to OshKosh. When the girls got home (we were watching dh's brother's house), Alli found an outlet bag - she asked me about it and I brushed her off - so she went running to Tori and said "Victoria, look what I found! Better start searching Uncle Brian's house for AG stuff!" My jaw dropped! Those little monsters! Thank God dh hid the stash in a locked room in the basement, or we'd have an early Christmas!
for_my_rose: I completely agree, these are collections that need to be respected - but at the same time they need to be played with. It's a good way to teach our children to value and cherish these things that not every child is fortunate to have. I do, occasionally, remind my girls that they are very lucky to have so many beautiful dolls (we only have 3 + the BT), because I never had anything so beautiful as a child. Maybe that's why I'm so into collecting them as an adult - I need to relive my childhood. [img]confused.gif[/img]
D~
-
July 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM
#33
Inactive Member
AGMommi to Alli & Tori: I whole-heartedly beleive children should play with their stuff, if is display only, not only do I think that is cruel, but you might as well say it is Mommy's only. At the same time, I try to teach dd to be nice and take care of things, she is rough and has to reminded, but at the same time, that is why I didn't feel she was ready for a AG until I felt she was ready for the "responsiblity", but I still don't feel she is to be trusted with my early 90's dolls (b/c of the $ value & the sentimental value) I am also reminding her how expensive things are, & I am not throwing away $, these collections are not for resell value, they are for passing down value. Although I say that, I don't think I could pass down mine, b/c of what they mean to me. I too am reliving my childhood through these collections, but b/c of what they mean to me & how I was lucky to have the dolls I had as a kid, I want her to feel the same way. I think she knows b/c she rarely asks for anything b/c she knows I don't have unlimited funds and when she does ask she really wants it & it is those toys she cares about, not the ones just given to her. I expect to have to mend a shirt or eventually replace a wig (even using the ag brush, you might have to do this) I just hate when I feel like people think what does it matter, its replaceable, well yes, but why waste $ on replacing it when if you just take care of it, it wouldn't have to. My 1st doll, I took care of very well, but today it looks mighty used, but I am glad my parents instill the idea to take care of our things, otherwise my doll would probably not be here, and it has had neck & back surgery. I am happy to do that for dd. I guess I am just having a hard time explaining what I mean, just want my niece to be taught, you can play with it, but don't drag it on the floor, throw it at the wall, etc.
-
July 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM
#34
Inactive Member
Hello luvAG! I had to laugh when I read your posts! You are definitely a kindred spirit, since my DD is 3 1/2 right now and I can totally envision my staircase looking a lot like yours 7 years from now! Your photo is wonderful and I am so glad you shared. This is a wonderful inspiration to me! Thanks for making me smile at the end of a long day! Katie
-
July 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
#35
Inactive Member
Thank you....What nice words to end the day! [img]smile.gif[/img] It's never too early to start collecting and your DD will be lucky having a mom to share the joy and fun of dolls with.
-
July 18th, 2006, 05:23 AM
#36
T. Lynn
Guest
Yes, I have a stash and my husband asked if I was opening up a store.
Downstairs I already have the 3-in-1 doll bed, dreams bedding, little purse for just like me doll, Jess's pajamas, another Marisol (which I don't know what I'm doing with her yet since she has one) and I just ordered:
AG22 doll, sparkly tunic top for doll and daughter, coconut, coconut dog house, coconut jacket and shirt for doll and daughter, doll sunglasses, the new doll tote, salon accessories, cozy cardigan for her bitty baby, and the new hair care kit.
I think that's about it unless I find other stuff lurking around the house. I'm going to the store in December on a Christmas shopping bus trip so I'm sure I'll be adding to this list. At this rate, her Easter basket will be full of AG things.
I just hate holding it all back. I'm such a kid myself...
-
July 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
#37
Inactive Member
So I'm cleaning out the basement and the guest (i.e. doll) room and have stacked a bunch of boxes in the little alcove in the baby's room. Most of the stuff is in containers that aren't see through, so my daughter hasn't figured it out, but there were a couple of AG boxes that I had put on top. Yesterday I hear a little "mom, can I see what those are?" Of course, I lied and told her that those are just the empty boxes to her stuff *giggle*. Luckily she believed me.
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 18, 2006 08:32 AM: Message edited by: nicbecjamsar ]</font>
-
July 19th, 2006, 03:00 AM
#38
Inactive Member
Stash? Oh...puhleeeze! I'm the Queen of stash around here, and she still gets plenty to play with, guess I just went a little overboard at last year's MCM, another reason I didn't go this year! [img]redface.gif[/img]
Laurie
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks